City of Warren, MI

Village of Warren

village-of-warren-tn

Pioneers, mostly farmers, from New England settled the Warren area in 1832. Virgin forests supplied logs for the sawmills, which were located on Twelve and Fourteen Mile roads. A strap railroad, one of the first of its kind in Michigan, connected the settlement to Detroit and Utica. By 1875 the community had two churches, a school and several business establishments. It was called Beebe’s Corner after John L. Beebe, who operated the toll gate for the plank road that led to Detroit. In 1893 the predominately German community voted to incorporate as a village, electing Dr. J. D. Flynn as president. Though work and cultural activities draw residents into the Detroit metropolitan community, Warren retains its individual identity in its historic churches, homes and business establishments.

Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State
Location: Chicago and Mound Roads
Map

Warren Township District 4 School

district-4-school-tnThis building was commonly named the Bunert School, for August and Mine Bunert, who sold land to Warren School District No. 4 in January 1875. The school was built later that year on the northeast corner of the intersection of Bunert and Martin roads. When classes ceased in 1944, it was the longest-serving one-room school in Warren. In 1987 the board-and-batten building was donated to the Warren Historical Society, which moved it to this site and restored it as a museum.


Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State
Location: Bunert Road north of 11 Mile Road at the south end of Warren Woods Tower High School
Map

Wilson - Bosch Home 1892

wilson-bosch-house-tn

In 1843 Charles Davy bought 40 acres of land from public auction for $65.00. The auction was conducted to pay the debts of the estate of Orton Gibbs. This 40 acres contained the west half of what later became Beebe’s Corners. In 1848 Charles Davy sold the 40 acres to Elijah Davy for $300.00 and then in 1880 Elijah gave the home site to his daughter, Alice. In 1892 Alice and her husband David Wilson built this home. In 1905 the Wilsons built the carriage house complete with a chicken coop. David Wilson later became the Tax Assessor for the Village and in 1926, Wilson Street was renamed Seventh Street.


Warren Village Historic District Commission, 1994
Location: 5711 Fillmore at 7th Street
Map

City of Warren, Michigan

Copyright © 2016 City Of Warren | One City Square, Warren, Michigan 48093 Mayor's Office (586) 574-4500 | All Rights Reserved.

Share This Site | This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Please be advised: Any exchange of information on The City of Warren's website may be subject to The Freedom Of Information Act. (F.O.I.A.)

Languages

English French German Italian Portuguese Russian Spanish