The Handy Helper Program provides assistance with household maintenance tasks.
· Replacing light bulbs
· Replacing door locks and window catches
· Replacing faucet washers or faucets
· Installing screens and storm windows
· Installing weather stripping around doors
· Caulking windows
· Repairing furniture
· Installing window shades and curtain rods
· Heavy-duty cleaning, limited to:
o cleaning appliances
o cleaning carpets and rugs
o washing walls
o cleaning interior windows (that do not require a ladder to reach)
· Pest control – general (does not include bed bugs, mosquitos or stinging insects)
· Pest control – rodent (rats and mice)
Seasonal services available include:
· Spring yard clean up:
o washing exterior windows
o leaf raking
o cleaning flowers beds
o trimming overhanging tree branches
· Fall yard clean up:
o washing exterior windows
o leaf raking
Seasonal services utilize volunteer assistance. Application for service must be returned to complete request for service.
· The person must be at least 60 years of age
· A Macomb County resident
Call the Office of Senior Services to request assistance.
During these times of disconnectedness and social isolation, who couldn’t use a friend and a friendly voice saying, “Hello?” Program volunteers reach out over the phone to connect with Macomb County Seniors interested in a friendly social conversation. It’s a no-pressure, informal, social call that can last anywhere from 10 minutes to 30 minutes depending on interest and natural flow of conversation on any particular day. Think of it as an old-fashioned front porch visit…over the phone.
The Friendly Caller program is provided through the generous support of volunteers and Meals on Wheels of America.
Interested in it for yourself or a loved one? Complete this interest form below and our staff will do the rest.
Form to be completed online or call 586-469-6999
If you need a wheelchair, cane, or walker
Items are available on a first-come-first-serve basis. It is recommended that you call the office first at
County 586-469-5228 and City of Warren – 586-756-2800 x3210
to inquire if the equipment that you need is available.
Donation of Items
The City of Warren Loan Closet and Macomb Community Action are currently accepting donations of the following items:
· Canes (3 or 4 prong only)
· Walkers (preferably with front wheels)
All equipment must be clean and in good working condition. Donations may be dropped off to:
Macomb Community Action Office of Senior Services
21885 Dunham Road
Suite 6 Clinton Township, MI 48036
Monday – Friday from 8:30 am – 5:00 pm
Enter door “C” located on the west side of the building. Suite 6 is located inside the doors to the right.
Warren Fire Administration Bldg.
23295 Schoenherr Warren, MI 48089
Monday – Friday 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Registration for grass/snow is in March of each year.
GoldenBerry Adult Day Caring Center will soon be credentialed as a Montessori Inspired Lifestyle® (MIL) Adult Day Program, the first in the United States to do so! MIL is a person-centered approach to living that involves understanding a person’s capabilities and interests and developing care plans and activities that match the individual. This approach leads to greater independence and maintenance of remaining abilities among people with cognitive and physical disabilities. It is also an approach to living that emphasizes key values of respect, dignity, and equality. MIL training is rooted in the rehabilitative techniques and educational approaches originated by Dr. Maria Montessori. It has been developed through decades of gerontological and neuropsychological research by Dr. Cameron Camp and his team at the Center for Applied Research in Dementia.
The Adult Day Caring Center opened its doors to clients in 1984. The center provides programs of both social and medical models geared at allowing those with physical and cognitive disabilities to remain in a safe and comfortable environment during the day.
GoldenBerry is a state-of-the-art program in Macomb County for individuals with Alzheimer’s or dementia-related conditions. The goal is to enhance the quality of life for older adults impacted by dementia. The Center offers respite care for caregivers who are in need of assistance caring for their loved one. Staff provide continuous supervision and practice mandated safety protocols. Oversight and staffing of the program are managed through Martha T. Berry Medical Care Facility.
· Specializing in helping individuals that have been diagnosed with the following:
o Multiple Sclerosis
· Personalized service with 1:3 staff to participant ratio
o Staffing includes Certified Nursing Assistants (CNA), access to a Registered Nurse and a Social Worker.
· Flexible attendance options available Monday-Friday
· Lift-equipped wheelchair transportation is available to those within a 10-mile radius of the center
· Activities focus on cognitive and sensory stimulation, exercise and recreation
· Nutritious meals and snacks
· Incontinence care provided
· Personal care (bathing) is also available on site
· Health monitoring
· Medication management
· Socialization for the participant
· Caregiver support
· And much more!
The Adult Day Caring Center is a cost-effective alternative to other forms of health care, such as home health and home nursing care. Funding assistance may be available through Area Agency on Aging 1-B or Veteran Affairs for those who qualify.
· A Macomb County resident.
· Cannot safely be left home alone.
· Can no longer structure his or her own daily activities.
· Is experiencing social isolation, depression, memory loss, or chronic illness.
Come and experience the difference. Schedule a tour of the facility and a FREE 4-hour stay for your loved one.
For more information on the Adult Day Caring Center contact: