Automatic Water Meter Replacement Program
Important Water Meter Replacement Notice
To: All City of Warren Water Customers
The City of Warren will begin replacing your water meter with a new automated meter reading system. The City has contracted this work with National Field Services. National Field Services is a reputable company with over 26 years of experience installing meter systems in Southeast Michigan. They will be installing a new water meter with an automated meter reading system inside your home or business. Because of the size of our city, it will take us approximately two years to convert all the water customers to the new automated meter reading system. This summer we will begin installing the new meter and meter reading system in the south end of our city. Every homeowner or business will be contacted by National Field Services to schedule an installation date for their new meter system at the appropriate date and time. There is no need for you to immediately call us at this time. National Field Service will contact you.
The new meter reading system is replacing our old outdated technology with the latest meter reading
system. The new system will generate sufficient savings to fund the complete cost of the new meter reading system. No special fees or rate increases will be charged to our water customers for their new water meter with the new meter reading system.
The City of Warren Water Division Management
Answers to Questions About the Water Meter Replacement Program:
Why is my water meter being replaced?
- Your meter is being replaced for the following reasons:
- Meters are at the end of their useful life (avg. 25 years old).
- Billing system is approximately 40 years old and inefficient.
- Loss of revenue from broken & malfunctioning meters ($600,000 loss in 2009).
- Present cost of meter reading by CMS Energy ($370,000 annually, 67¢ per meter). This cost will be
eliminated with the new system.
- Present meter reading process is labor intensive and time-consuming.
- Not enough time for customer service personnel to answer customer questions because of the high
number of calls relating to no meter readings.
- The new radio-read system will provide improved automated meter reading and a more efficient
How will I know that the people who install the water meters are working for the contractor?
National Field Services employees wear uniforms and photo identification tags easily seen by you. You
can call (313) 884-8022 to confirm his/her employment. YOUR SAFETY IS OUR FIRST CONSIDERATION.
Report suspicious persons to the City of Warren Police Department at (586) 574-4700.
How long will it take to install the new metering system, which includes a meter, cable and transponder?
Normal installation time is approximately 30 minutes. A person 18 years old or older must be present for
What is my responsibility?
City code states that it is the homeowner’s responsibility to maintain the water pipes and valves in their
Will I be charged for the new meter?
No. The water meter replacement program is self-funding through savings from efficiencies.